Skip to main content

We all need a little kindness...


One particular incident from my childhood always sticks out in my mind.  I had accidently broken a cup and, despite knowing that I was in a loving home, my immediate reaction was one of fear – what would happen?  My mother responded gently, “It’s okay, sweetie, accidents happen.”  As a youngish child, that was such a pivotal experience of grace.  There was no punishment, no reprimand, just gentle grace.

It’s something I have always kept in mind as I raise my own children.  Of course, I know I haven’t succeeded all the time.  Especially on accidental matters.  It always seems too easy to react with a raised voice and to add on a rebuke, “if you weren’t running this wouldn’t have happened; or if you’d just been more careful it wouldn’t have happened!”

How much harder it is to show grace when the transgressions are not just accidental, but deliberate thought-out choices: hitting their brother, saying something rude, and so on.

Yet God models such amazing grace to us.  There are very few instances where Jesus rebukes people for sin, instead His encouraging presence seems to lead them to their own sense of conviction and repentance (Zaccheus).  Jesus seems less concerned with the past and more with the future.  To the woman caught in adultery there is no lecture or urging her to think about how she got into the situation, just an injunction to go and sin no more.

What is grace? When does someone deserve grace?  When they are repentant?  When they have shown remorse?  The definition of grace is ‘unmerited favour’.  God says that while we were still sinners, his grace was released on us.  Of course grace doesn’t mean that there are no consequences to be faced or things to be mended, but that these are to be administered in a spirit of grace.

There isn’t a good word in English for showing grace to others.  We have gracious, but that inspires images of the ‘gracious’ queen bending regally down to her subjects.  We have graceful, but again this inspires images of ballerinas and their fluid movements.

Kindness is probably the best word, but it seems too weak to hold this powerful concept of acting with love and good intent towards those who do not deserve it.  Perhaps the compound loving-kindness can capture the idea of being full of grace toward others.

It’s not just kids who need grace.  Parents need it too.

Many of us place tremendous expectations on ourselves to be ‘good parents’.  Yet the Bible pretty much assumes that we will love our children (note the many parental metaphors).  We are urged simply to pass on what we know to be true, to our kids.  And really that’s pretty much all we can do.  Take care of their bodies and minds and hearts with that which we have and know.  And it is 100% guaranteed that we will make mistakes, because we are all flawed and limited human beings.  If we have added Jesus into our life equation, we have access to tremendous resources in Him.  But, but… we are still limited by the choices our children make for themselves.  God has given them a free will and as much as we can guide and direct them, they ultimately are responsible for their own actions, whether we have messed up or not.

I have sat with several friends whose kids have messed up and they are so ready to take the blame on themselves.  I too have experienced on several occasions the deep pain when my children have chosen a path I didn’t feel was good, and felt the guilt come swarming in.  What did I do wrong, I cry to God.

On a recent occasion I received this beautiful message from a friend.  I can see that she is someone who understands the concept of grace.

‘Dearest friend, I just want to say my heart goes out to you and your family.  Everybody makes mistakes somewhere in life and God’s most amazing characteristic is His immediate and total forgiveness and love. To every single body. Always.  And please know that I still love your son.  We all do.  He is a stunning young man, as you are a stunning Mum.  And just know that it will all work out for the best in the end.’

Her kind words were a balm to my wounds.  Let’s remember this as we deal with one another on this planet which is so often a harsh environment.  There is a place for learning to do better and a time for rebuke but at all times and especially when we have been deeply hurt, we need grace.

References:
The story of Zaccheus - Luke 19
The woman caught in adultery – John 8
God’s grace to us - Ephesians 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some things can easily be resolved

  June - Week 2 (reading time 3 mins) Yesterday, I had one of those experiences with petty officialdom. I took a friend to the airport and drove into the drop & go zone.  As soon as she disappeared into the building, I look for my parking ticket, and… you’ve guessed it, it has disappeared.  I search for about 3 minutes, get out, look on the tar, check the boot – nada. Then I realise, that if I don’t exit within the 5 minutes time allocation, I will have to pay R26 instead of exiting free of charge; so I quickly head to the exit.  At this point, I must mention that this is in George – a very small airport, so all of this happens within a radius of about 10 metres. At the exit boom, a small piece of paper informs me that the intercom is broken (of course). I reverse (badly) and park. I walk over to the ticket office, adjacent to said boom. In a very friendly manner, I explain that I’ve just pulled up and dropped my friend, I even have 3 witnesses (security men, lounging agains

June 2023 - Week 1: What have I been reading?

  June-Week 1 What have I been reading? Firstly, I am not the person to come to if you’re looking for what’s new and current. I grew up visiting the local library and browsing among old and unattractive books, and although I have become somewhat captive to today’s pretty covers, I am still loath (and too poor) to spend money on new releases.  I prefer to stick to libraries, second-hand bookshops and loans from friends.  When I find a good author, I usually hunt down their older books at the aforementioned spots or on Kindle where they are more affordable. Secondly, my preferred reading at the moment is light. Not Coke Lite, just a really satisfying Coke.  I’ve read my fair share of Pulitzer Prize nominees and there’s a time and place for those too. So here’s my current list by author: 4 fiction, 2 non-fiction. FICTION Val Mc Dermid : Excellent Scottish crime writer (1955- ), with various series.  I really enjoyed the Karin Pirie thriller: Still Life. Catherine Alliot : Another

Can an Egalitarian attend a Complementarian Church?

Definitions: Egalitarians “believe that leadership is not determined by gender but by the gifting and calling of the Holy Spirit, and that God calls all believers to submit to one another.”  In contrast , Complementarians “believe the Bible establishes male authority over women, making male leadership the standard.” Carolyn Curtis James. Imagine attending a church where half the congregation is BLACK and half are WHITE.  After a while you notice that no BLACK PEOPLE ever take up collection or make announcements; they almost never get called on to pray, they never lead worship and they never preach.  On the few odd occasions when they do speak or pray they always pray for THE LEADERS (who are white) and always encourage the other BLACK PEOPLE to submit to the LEADERS.  Imagine that when you ask some of the BLACK PEOPLE how they feel about this they say, “Oh, we’re quite happy being behind the scenes we don’t want to preach or pray up front.” Your mind boggles.  Do they really think