Skip to main content

Day 3: A lament for toast.


Is there anything nicer than a crunchy piece of hot buttered toast?  My favourites are a good multi-seed bread, double toasted and topped with cheese and tomato or avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper or peanut butter and honey.  Well of course the toppings are endless.  Oh, oh butter and Bovril!  Mmmmm.

So what the f*** can substitute bread?  What else has that substantial, I-can-sink-my-teeth-into-this feeling?  That chewy feeling? Avocado on celery stick? Bleh.  Peanut butter on apple slices? Sounds yummy but not every day.  There isn’t a vegetable on this planet I want Bovril on.

Also it’s quick.  Listen I love salad as much as you do, but it involves a fair amount of chopping and tearing and eradicating green pepper seeds, so it’s not really an economical use of time when you’re preparing for one.  Also, storage!  My fridge has never been this full!  Keeping a family of 6 on a consistent diet of rabbit and lion food takes a lot more storage and a lot more shopping!  Rusks, cereals and breads are just so blimming convenient.

And there’s all that excellent roughage; I usually eat bran rusks and muti-seed, wholegrain bread, soooo after 3 days, I have to say I am a little bit (constipated) – yes, despite all those vegetables and salad!  It could be the extra meat or perhaps that going from 6 coffees to 2 (because it tastes so awful without sugar) I might not be getting in enough water?

Ok, so while I seriously doubt I’ll be abandoning bread for good after these 21 days, I am seeing ways to cut down on all sorts of stuff.  I mean there’s a lot of other stuff I’m having to give up on too and I realise I could happily never have a piece of chocolate ever again if I could just have 2 slices of bread a day.  Likewise I’ll forgo my other 5 cups if I can have one delicious sugared cup of coffee.

Statistics for Day 2:
Energy level: 4=good (Where 5 = ‘I could jog around the block’ and 1 = ’I’d like to take a nap’) Now that could be because I worked from home yesterday which always energises me.


Statistics for Day 3:
Energy level: 3=medium (Where 5 = ‘I could jog around the block’ and 1 = ’I’d like to take a nap’)
Weight: feeling fat, but way too early to measure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some things can easily be resolved

  June - Week 2 (reading time 3 mins) Yesterday, I had one of those experiences with petty officialdom. I took a friend to the airport and drove into the drop & go zone.  As soon as she disappeared into the building, I look for my parking ticket, and… you’ve guessed it, it has disappeared.  I search for about 3 minutes, get out, look on the tar, check the boot – nada. Then I realise, that if I don’t exit within the 5 minutes time allocation, I will have to pay R26 instead of exiting free of charge; so I quickly head to the exit.  At this point, I must mention that this is in George – a very small airport, so all of this happens within a radius of about 10 metres. At the exit boom, a small piece of paper informs me that the intercom is broken (of course). I reverse (badly) and park. I walk over to the ticket office, adjacent to said boom. In a very friendly manner, I explain that I’ve just pulled up and dropped my friend, I even have 3 witnesses (security men, lounging agains

June 2023 - Week 1: What have I been reading?

  June-Week 1 What have I been reading? Firstly, I am not the person to come to if you’re looking for what’s new and current. I grew up visiting the local library and browsing among old and unattractive books, and although I have become somewhat captive to today’s pretty covers, I am still loath (and too poor) to spend money on new releases.  I prefer to stick to libraries, second-hand bookshops and loans from friends.  When I find a good author, I usually hunt down their older books at the aforementioned spots or on Kindle where they are more affordable. Secondly, my preferred reading at the moment is light. Not Coke Lite, just a really satisfying Coke.  I’ve read my fair share of Pulitzer Prize nominees and there’s a time and place for those too. So here’s my current list by author: 4 fiction, 2 non-fiction. FICTION Val Mc Dermid : Excellent Scottish crime writer (1955- ), with various series.  I really enjoyed the Karin Pirie thriller: Still Life. Catherine Alliot : Another

Can an Egalitarian attend a Complementarian Church?

Definitions: Egalitarians “believe that leadership is not determined by gender but by the gifting and calling of the Holy Spirit, and that God calls all believers to submit to one another.”  In contrast , Complementarians “believe the Bible establishes male authority over women, making male leadership the standard.” Carolyn Curtis James. Imagine attending a church where half the congregation is BLACK and half are WHITE.  After a while you notice that no BLACK PEOPLE ever take up collection or make announcements; they almost never get called on to pray, they never lead worship and they never preach.  On the few odd occasions when they do speak or pray they always pray for THE LEADERS (who are white) and always encourage the other BLACK PEOPLE to submit to the LEADERS.  Imagine that when you ask some of the BLACK PEOPLE how they feel about this they say, “Oh, we’re quite happy being behind the scenes we don’t want to preach or pray up front.” Your mind boggles.  Do they really think