Skip to main content

What I have gained

Some of you may think I am not taking this seriously enough or with an open heart, but I am, I am!  I am being very good about sticking closely to the challenge and have only cheated properly once when I had 2 slices of pizza.  I hasten to add that this was not succumbing to a craving but sheer tiredness on my part to cook anything else and the pizza was there for the 6 teenage boys!

So today I will share some of the positives I have gleaned so far.

1.      What they say about cravings is absolutely true.  They do dissipate completely!  As per banting-lore the fats seem to keep me satisfied and I can truly say I never feel hungry and have no cravings.  In that sense it becomes easy to avoid unhealthy treats, although from a psychological point of view I still miss breads and rusks especially.

2.      Consequently I have lost 2 kilos so far without trying to eat less.  I can imagine that had I cut all starch (eg rice and oats) this would be even more effective.

3.       I am now more aware of the harm sugar can do and I am more aware of the hidden sugars we take in.  Some ‘hidden’ sugars really are crazy, such as a can of baked beans which contains 18g of sugar!

4.      I have also spotted lots of easy ways to cut down.  The big ones are obviously sweets and sweetened drinks, which frankly I find easy to cut out (coffee excepted).  Using less is often an easy option, for example mayonnaise can be ‘diluted’ with plain yoghurt and tastes just as good.  Likewise flavoured yoghurts can be mixed with plain yoghurts, thus halving the sugar.  Butter beans can lose a lot of sugar by simply giving them good rinse before use.  So think creatively.

5.      Similarly if you can’t eliminate wheat, then try wholegrains which are better than anything made from plain refined flour, and most of those are quite tasty.

6.      Again simply altering a traditional dinner mindset of starch (rice, potato, pasta), meat and 2 veg for supper to: meat and three/four veggies or reducing your typical starch portion by half is easy to do.

7.      Lunches for my kids have not been entirely bread-free but we have increased their complex carbohydrates by adding in lots salad stuff into their sandwiches. 

8.      Generally being more creative has made cooking a bit more interesting the last 2 weeks which is very welcome when you’ve been cooking hot dinners for 20 years.


On the flipside I have to say:

1.      Unsweetened coffee and tea still taste awful to me.  And coffee with sweetner is just not nice, even xylitol has an aftertaste.  Kudos to all of you who have persisted and mastered unsweetened tea and coffee.  I honestly don’t know how you do it.

2.      At 14 days in, I see no discernible change in energy levels, which is disappointing as that was something I was quite hopeful about.

3.      I miss lots of foods.  I don’t look forward to lunch and breakfast has become a chore.  There’s something in the Mary Poppins adage, ‘a spoonful of sugar….’.  A bit of wheat like a bechamel sauce or a sugary biscuit do really make my day more cheerful and I miss these little treats.

I am starting to think about how I could make this more workable after the 21 days, and I’m thinking along the lines of keeping up with it in the week, but letting myself off the hook on weekends.


So all round it’s been a great experience.  Stick around as I see out my last week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some things can easily be resolved

  June - Week 2 (reading time 3 mins) Yesterday, I had one of those experiences with petty officialdom. I took a friend to the airport and drove into the drop & go zone.  As soon as she disappeared into the building, I look for my parking ticket, and… you’ve guessed it, it has disappeared.  I search for about 3 minutes, get out, look on the tar, check the boot – nada. Then I realise, that if I don’t exit within the 5 minutes time allocation, I will have to pay R26 instead of exiting free of charge; so I quickly head to the exit.  At this point, I must mention that this is in George – a very small airport, so all of this happens within a radius of about 10 metres. At the exit boom, a small piece of paper informs me that the intercom is broken (of course). I reverse (badly) and park. I walk over to the ticket office, adjacent to said boom. In a very friendly manner, I explain that I’ve just pulled up and dropped my friend, I even have 3 witnesses (security men, lounging agains

June 2023 - Week 1: What have I been reading?

  June-Week 1 What have I been reading? Firstly, I am not the person to come to if you’re looking for what’s new and current. I grew up visiting the local library and browsing among old and unattractive books, and although I have become somewhat captive to today’s pretty covers, I am still loath (and too poor) to spend money on new releases.  I prefer to stick to libraries, second-hand bookshops and loans from friends.  When I find a good author, I usually hunt down their older books at the aforementioned spots or on Kindle where they are more affordable. Secondly, my preferred reading at the moment is light. Not Coke Lite, just a really satisfying Coke.  I’ve read my fair share of Pulitzer Prize nominees and there’s a time and place for those too. So here’s my current list by author: 4 fiction, 2 non-fiction. FICTION Val Mc Dermid : Excellent Scottish crime writer (1955- ), with various series.  I really enjoyed the Karin Pirie thriller: Still Life. Catherine Alliot : Another

Day 7-9: Legalism, Extremism and Common Sense

Okay, this is where I start getting the hate mail. A lot of these extreme health fads are a lot like religion, and the worst kind of religion – the kind that makes people nasty, intolerant and obsessed with rule-keeping.  When I started considering Banting, for example, I thought I could use some encouragement and tips so I joined a facebook group called ‘Banting for Beginners’, seemed fair enough. Soon after I posted the question, “ Can someone refer me to an article about whether it is necessary to cut out absolutely all carbohydrates as per the red list or can I just cut down?  I don’t quite see how I can manage it with a family of 6” .  I was thinking perhaps I could keep rice and pasta for some suppers and oats for breakfast…. Perhaps I expected a couple of links?  Maybe a succinct scientific explanation as to the need to be absolute? Some encouragement along the lines of, “That’s a great way to start, Natalie, yes, cut down carbs and increase what you’re cutting week