Skip to main content

Days 4 through 6, questions abound.


So there’s good news and bad news.  The good news is I discovered something in the supermarket called ‘Banting bread’.  It costs twice as much as a normal loaf and it’s half the size but it’s quite palatable.  I don’t know what’s in it, but I suspect cauliflower.  Whatever it is, it really sticks to your teeth.  Anyway so I finally had egg on ‘toast’ for breakfast and it wasn’t totally awful.  It made a nice change from glop (aka oats.)

Also I have to admit I haven’t been hungry once.  Well, I’m not restricting calories and I find I’m eating a lot more fruit which is odd, because I’m not a big fan of sweet fruit (as opposed to tomatoes, peppers and avocado which I love).  Which means I’m getting in more fructose… is this different or better than sucrose?  According to Jamie Oliver yes, because instead of getting in ‘empty’ calories through added sugar, fruit contains added nutrients and roughage; it's sugar with a context if you like.  Jamie Oliver’s on a big sugar-reduction crusade which you can read more about HERE.

Particularly laudable is his stance on sugary drinks which are some of the biggest culprits in our contemporary lifestyle – I’m right behind you there Jamie!  I hate to see small toddlers, especially, walking around with a can of Coke.  My kids have been raised on water and they love it.  We rarely indulge in the fizzy stuff, so on one occasion my kids opened the fridge and seeing a 2 litre of Coke, they asked, “Who visited, mom?”

The bad news is coffee and tea still taste horrible without sugar. And sweetners make me feel unhealthy and have a nasty taste.  Is it really too much to ask for one little spoon of sugar in my coffee when a can of Coke contains about 8?!  Jamie recommends no more than 7 spoons of sugar a day and that would include sugar added to cereals, rusks, crisps (yes!) sweet drinks, sauces and so on.

I’m not really having anymore cravings outside of shops.  Walking down those aisles is hard. And I can’t watch the food channel. But whether that’s a physiological change or just mind over matter, I’m not sure.  Food generally seems to have lost a lot of its allure.  Does that mean that I am bringing food into perspective - as a purely nutritional exercise?  Or am I losing out? because it also seems to have lost a lot of its glamour and enjoyment.  In a word, although I am trying very hard to be creative around meals and snacks, my palate feels somewhat bored.  (I’ve always suspected thin people don’t really enjoy eating.)

It’s all a bit of a mystery so far.  Would long term changes like these really be significant?  Am I going to lose weight or gain?  Would staying within Jamie’s recommended 7 added sugars guidelines be a sufficient change?  Or does one need to be absolutely ruthless about refined carbohydrates like Tim Noakes advocates?  Is this lifestyle sustainable or will it be too dreary to bear?

It’s only 21 days I remind myself, and just 15 to go.

Statistics for Day 4:
Energy level: 2=low (Where 5 = ‘I could jog around the block’ and 1 = ’I’d like to take a nap’)
Weight: still feeling fat.

Statistics for Day 5:
Energy level: 1=very low


Statistics for Day 6:
Energy level: 3=medium

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some things can easily be resolved

  June - Week 2 (reading time 3 mins) Yesterday, I had one of those experiences with petty officialdom. I took a friend to the airport and drove into the drop & go zone.  As soon as she disappeared into the building, I look for my parking ticket, and… you’ve guessed it, it has disappeared.  I search for about 3 minutes, get out, look on the tar, check the boot – nada. Then I realise, that if I don’t exit within the 5 minutes time allocation, I will have to pay R26 instead of exiting free of charge; so I quickly head to the exit.  At this point, I must mention that this is in George – a very small airport, so all of this happens within a radius of about 10 metres. At the exit boom, a small piece of paper informs me that the intercom is broken (of course). I reverse (badly) and park. I walk over to the ticket office, adjacent to said boom. In a very friendly manner, I explain that I’ve just pulled up and dropped my friend, I even have 3 witnesses (security men, lounging agains

June 2023 - Week 1: What have I been reading?

  June-Week 1 What have I been reading? Firstly, I am not the person to come to if you’re looking for what’s new and current. I grew up visiting the local library and browsing among old and unattractive books, and although I have become somewhat captive to today’s pretty covers, I am still loath (and too poor) to spend money on new releases.  I prefer to stick to libraries, second-hand bookshops and loans from friends.  When I find a good author, I usually hunt down their older books at the aforementioned spots or on Kindle where they are more affordable. Secondly, my preferred reading at the moment is light. Not Coke Lite, just a really satisfying Coke.  I’ve read my fair share of Pulitzer Prize nominees and there’s a time and place for those too. So here’s my current list by author: 4 fiction, 2 non-fiction. FICTION Val Mc Dermid : Excellent Scottish crime writer (1955- ), with various series.  I really enjoyed the Karin Pirie thriller: Still Life. Catherine Alliot : Another

Day 7-9: Legalism, Extremism and Common Sense

Okay, this is where I start getting the hate mail. A lot of these extreme health fads are a lot like religion, and the worst kind of religion – the kind that makes people nasty, intolerant and obsessed with rule-keeping.  When I started considering Banting, for example, I thought I could use some encouragement and tips so I joined a facebook group called ‘Banting for Beginners’, seemed fair enough. Soon after I posted the question, “ Can someone refer me to an article about whether it is necessary to cut out absolutely all carbohydrates as per the red list or can I just cut down?  I don’t quite see how I can manage it with a family of 6” .  I was thinking perhaps I could keep rice and pasta for some suppers and oats for breakfast…. Perhaps I expected a couple of links?  Maybe a succinct scientific explanation as to the need to be absolute? Some encouragement along the lines of, “That’s a great way to start, Natalie, yes, cut down carbs and increase what you’re cutting week